If there is one thing that can pick everyone up in the morning, it’s a nice piping hot cup of Joe. There’s just something so irreplaceably wonderful about coffee, from the exquisite taste to the caffeine rush that seems to get us past that last hour of work each and every day. If you’re in need of a coffee maker, you want to make sure you’re making the right choice.
So what coffee makers are the best and right for you? There is a wide variety of coffee makers available on the market. The choice will come down to one’s specific needs and desires, as well as price range, counter space, and the style of coffee you prefer.
Let’s be honest for a second: there’s a lot of different coffee makers available to consumers. This can make a simple purchase turn into something a tad overwhelming if you’re not familiar with the styles and features.
Disclaimer: Hi! this post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online retailers that sell products and services. If you click on one and buy something, I may earn a commission, see my Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
This is exactly why we’re going to breakdown the different types of coffee makers, why you might need them, and things to consider when purchasing a coffee maker. As a bonus, we’re also going to throw in the top 7 coffee makers you must consider when making a final decision.
Types of Coffee Makers
When searching for the right coffee maker, you will come across some terms that you may be unsure of. Terms like ‘automatic drip’ and ‘french press’ can be confusing, making it all the more challenging to select the coffee maker that’s right for you.
Let’s take a good look at the most common coffee maker types available on the market:
- Automatic drip coffee maker. This is undeniably the most popular coffee maker style in the industry. It’s easy to use and can come in a small, compact design for single cup coffee delights or can be a bit larger to handle larger crowds of 5 to 8 people at a time.
- Automatic drip coffee maker for pods. While the automatic drip coffee maker will typically need coffee grounds to process into a steaming cup of Joe, the newest (and increasingly more common) style is the maker designed for ‘pods.’ These single use disposable pods make it a cinch to place, press ‘brew,’ and come back to delicious tastes a few minutes later.
- French press coffee maker. The major difference between the french press and drip coffee makers is the way the grounds are processed to coffee. With a french press you don’t need bulky machinery: simply put the grounds in with hot water, let it sit, then use pressure to release the coffee from the grounds in a single piece of equipment.
- Espresso coffee maker. When people hear ‘espresso’, they likely think of a wealthier businessman who needs a shot of coffee to keep in spry throughout the day, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. If you love a bolder tasting coffee that packs caffeine into every punch, an espresso maker might be your ideal choice.
While there are other models available to the public: including stovetop, Moka, and Cone, these are less likely to be found in the homes and businesses of 2019. The major reason for this is because the above-mentioned list provides the convenience of use with shorter wait times, which is ideal for this fast-paced world.
Choosing the Coffee Maker that is Right for You
With so many different styles and models to choose from, perhaps the biggest challenge is knowing which coffee maker is surely made for you. There’s a lot of different things to consider before making a final purchase, and we’re going to discuss them in-depth.
First and foremost: Consider your price range
If you’re brand new to the world of creating your own coffee, chances are you won’t want to spend $400 on top of the line model. Heck, even if you wanted it, it’s probably unlikely that you have an extra $400 lying around to spend on such an enticing coffee maker.
Keep pricing into perspective when buying a coffee maker. Even a coffee enthusiast wanting to step their game up needs to know their limits. Doing the proper research- such as changing the price range when shopping online, so you don’t even see fancier models- is important.
It’s also important to keep in mind that the more you spend doesn’t always equate to a better product. While pricier models may have incredible features that change the game of coffee, at the end of the day, making coffee is the goal; and you’re going to get that from the cheapest model to the most expensive.
Secondly, think about your specific needs
Someone who entertains often and is always asking their guests if they would like a cup of coffee to go along with their dessert might find that a single-serve coffee maker doesn’t do the trick. Always take your specific needs into consideration when purchasing a coffee maker.
Think about things like:
- How many people will you be serving? If you tend to need large quantities of coffee to handle your guests or business, you need a coffee maker that can take on the load and produce upwards of 8 cups per session.
- How much coffee do you drink in a day? If you’re someone who has a small cup in the morning to get their day going, then you won’t need anything super fancy. But if you catch yourself wanting a little more throughout the day, you’re likely going to want a coffee maker with a carafe that will keep coffee warm all day.
- What kind of coffee do you like? Don’t like the taste of coffee? You are probably going to want to buy an automatic drip that allows you to use coffee grounds that aren’t ultra-strong. On the other hand, a coffee lover who craves rich tastes and plenty of caffeine will find comfort in an espresso machine.
- Do you need special features? Let me say it again: need.Of course, it’s nice to have the latest technology in every area of life, but it’s not necessary. However, if there’s an instance where you need to make sure your coffee is ready a certain time of day, you can buy a coffee maker that allows for pre-programmed creating so your coffee is ready when you need it.
Lastly, consider the area where you will be placing the coffee maker
This is something that could make or break your coffee maker experience. Think about it: you find the perfect coffee maker that matches your needs and price range, but you come to find out it’s way too large for your apartment. This can certainly crush your coffee dreams!
While taking in price range and needs is essential, you should always check the size and height of the machine before you make a decision. It should be one of the first things you look at when scanning the internet or store for a coffee maker, so you don’t end up disappointed.
What are some Features to Look Out for?
When it comes to coffee makers, some have amazing features that can benefit you. Some of these features can also be more of a hassle to you if you’re not sure how to use them, so knowing ahead of time can help you make your decision on the right coffee maker.
- Pre-programmed brewing. Always in a rush in the morning? No worries! Some new features allow for pre-programming, so your coffee is always ready when you are. Simply set your coffee maker to brew every morning at xx time, and it will do it without you even having to think about it.
- Control over brewing strength. When you’re able to control the strength of the brew, you can control the overall intensity of your coffee in terms of flavour and amount of caffeine. This allows for more customization when you drink: perhaps something extra strong in the morning, but low key in the afternoon.
- Machines that allow for pausing while brewing. Can’t wait to get your hands on that cup of Joe? Then you need a machine that allows for pausing. When you remove the cup from the machine, you can sip on your coffee with ease. Put it back under and the machine will continue the brewing process so you can sip on even more.
- Self-serving machines. While most coffee makers will put the freshly brewed coffee directly into the cup, a self-serving machine keeps the brewed coffee on top, ready to go. It’s always hot and tasting fresh and can be easily identified as somewhat of an ice or soda machine.
- Self-cleaning machines. If you’re a busy man or woman, it can be an oversight to clean your coffee maker; especially if it doesn’t look particularly ‘dirty’. With a self-cleaning machine, you can press a button and let the machine do the work; easy!
- Coffee machines that use water filters. Some coffee makers use water filters to ensure your coffee’s flavour is always in tip-top shape. However, one should know that they have to change the water filter every so often to keep it clean and ready to go.
Top 7 Coffee Makers
Best Bang for Your Buck: Mr. Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker
Don’t want to spend an arm and a leg on a coffee maker? Then you might want to consider the Mr Coffee 12-Cup Coffee Maker. This simple, basic, and cost-effective machine don’t come loaded with extra features, but it’s guaranteed to produce a rich-tasting flavour that will give you the boost you need every morning.
Some of the more basic features you will find on this machine include an on/off indicator to easily tell whether or not your machine is ready to go or not, along with an auto-pause stop cycle which means you can sip before the brewing process is completely over.
Aside from easy brewing, you will enjoy the dual water window that makes it easy to add just the right amount of water without needing any extras or cleaning up a giant water spill. While this is handy, another handy feature is the lift and clean filter basket that allows you to place coffee grounds of all flavours in a cinch and clean in no time, too.
This basic machine is great for someone new to making coffee at home but is also a great option for a novice coffee lover who doesn’t want to spend more than $20 on a piece of equipment. That’s right- for less than $20 you can brew delicious coffee that gets the job done.
Top Pick with Features: OXO Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker
If you have a little extra money to spend and want just the right amount of features to take your coffee making to the next level, then you might want to consider the OXO Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker. It’s a top pick of 2019 by consumers for a multitude of reasons including the following:
- Can make up to an astounding 9 cups of coffee in a single brew.
- Designed with a microprocessor-controlled brew cycle, you get the decadent taste of a pour-over a cup of coffee.
- Water is heated and can be held hot for several hours thanks to the uniquely designed stainless steel thermal carafe.
- With a showerhead utilizing a rainmaker design, the water is evenly dispersed amongst the coffee grounds, so you get the full flavour each and every time.
- Using an intuitive LED interface, the user is allowed to customize and see the status of the brew along with freshness indicators. You can also set up a time to automatically brew!
- Using a simple dial, you can quickly and easily change the number of cups of coffee that need to be brewed.
As you can see, the OXO Brew 9 Cup Coffee Maker has just the right number of features not to be overwhelming. It allows even the most amateur coffee lover to create some delicious tasting coffee with ease, even if you’re trying to tend to a large crowd with your favourite coffee flavour.
The last thing that is notable and enjoyable of this coffee machine is the sleek design. It has a modern, futuristic steel appearance that can quickly tie a kitchen together. It isn’t overly large, either, making this coffee maker (at around $180) is a great addition to any coffee lover.
Best Espresso Machine: Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville
Anyone who is a true lover of espresso and coffee alike will need the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville. This is undeniably the top pick for espresso lovers and the uniquely sleek and detailed design pairs well with any kitchen in a flash. With just enough features to keep your coffee tasting perfect, you’re sure to love this machine.
The Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine by Breville is sure to be a hit. With 5 different cup sizes to choose from, you can create a small shot of espresso quickly and easily while also being able to brew 5 cups of coffee to entertain your guests with.
You will love the ease of use when it comes to this espresso machine. All you need to do is insert one of the Nespresso Vertuo capsules and hit brew. It’s never been easier to have barista-quality drinks in the comfort of your own home.
There are endless possibilities when it comes to the Nespresso Vertuo capsules, too. Whatever your particular flavour is, you’re likely to find it. This means you can switch between different flavours of all levels of intensity to suit your personality and needs of the day. Rough day? Perhaps a soothing, rich flavour will calm you down, while a fierce perky flavour will be the go-to for morning routines.
Best Coffee Makers for Large Quantities: Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Coffee Maker
Have a large crowd to feed on a regular basis? You’re going to need a coffee maker that can handle the challenge, and the Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Coffee Maker may be the best choice. It’s ideal for larger spaces, like an office building or other company that needs coffee for the coffee-loving employees.
With the Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Coffee Maker, there is a lot to be excited about. The water reservoir can be removed completely and filled up, so you won’t have to worry about any accidents when it comes to filling up your piece of equipment.
The thermal carafe found with this coffee maker ensures that your coffee will remain hot even hours after being brewed. This is ideal for company situations where employees will be filtering in and out of the building at different periods of time, still wanting to enjoy a nice hot cup of Joe.
Another great feature of this specific coffee maker is the fact that it can brew coffee up to 20% faster than its competition. That means less time waiting around for your favorite coffee flavours, and more time sipping on the deliciousness. With a pre-programmable brew time, it’s easy to ensure the early birds of the office have a hot cup of coffee to wake up to.
Best French Press Coffee Maker: French Press Coffee Maker with 4 Level Filtration by Cafe Du Chateau
One of the biggest downfalls of french press coffee makers is the fact that you may end up with grounds in your cup, and that’s not tasty. If you want to avoid pitfalls like these, you need to make sure you have a high quality french press coffee maker that exceeds expectations; and you can get that from the French Press Coffee Maker by Cafe Du Chateau.
So how does this amazing piece of equipment to ensure you get a delicious cup of coffee without any of the extras each and every time? The design of this french press uses a double stainless-steel screen filter combined with a durable plunger that ensures all of the edges are sealed and ready to create delicious coffee.
Aside from this design, you will also notice a final top lid strainer, which is the last line of defence for ensuring your coffee is perfectly crisp, cool, and free of debris. No grounds will ever make their way to your cup, which means enjoyable coffee is always a guarantee.
The best part about this french press coffee maker is that you’re not stuck with only making coffee. With this piece of equipment, you also have the option of brewing espresso, cold brews, and even teas! This variety ultimately equates to a bigger bang for your buck.
If looks are a big factor when buying a coffee maker, then you may want to take an extra look at this french press. It has a very sleek and modern design that pairs well with a classy kitchen setting. Being a smaller piece of equipment, it’s especially nice for charming, smaller sized areas that don’t have any extra space to give up.
Best Coffee Maker for Pods: Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker K-Cup Pod
If you know anything about coffee makes and pods, then you have surely heard of the Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker which utilizes those handy and delicious K-Cup Pods, otherwise referred to simply as K pods.
The best thing about the Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker is the ease of use. All you need to do is insert one of the 6 oz, 8 oz, or 10 oz K pods into the machine, and click your desired brew size. At that point the machine will immediately start heating up and begin brewing your desired flavour with ease.
When it comes to the K pods, there’s a multitude of fresh, brisk, and utterly intense flavours of coffee to choose from. Whether you’re in the mood for a bold, rich flavour or something frillier and more flavourful of the caramel or vanilla variety, it’s a breeze to find a flavour that is right for you. With so many options to choose from, mixing and matching day to day is easy and fun!
The Keurig K-Classic Coffee Maker is simply the easiest piece of machinery available on the market, always delivering the most delicious results. Aside from its ease of use, another wonderful thing about the Keurig is you won’t need to refresh the water often as it can hold up to a whopping 48 ounces, which means over 6 cups before you need to replace.
Simple button controls mean that you can create coffee with ease, even if you have never owned a coffee machine before in your life. However, if you’re a coffee enthusiast, you will also love this coffee maker because there are so many K pods to taste and enjoy.
For less than $100, you can enjoy the latest innovation in coffee brewing, and it’s slick and unique design makes it a staple in every kitchen. It doesn’t resemble a typical ‘coffee maker’, making it an innovative design that bursts your kitchen appearance into the near future.
Best Stovetop Coffee Maker: Farberware 50124 Classic Stainless Steel Yosemite 8-Cup Percolator
A stovetop coffee maker maybe a little less common and popular, but it’s very practical and gets the job done. There’s no fancy pods or features with a stovetop coffee maker, but if your goal is to create delicious coffee from the comfort of your stove, then you will enjoy this design.
There are a few things that you may find handy about the stovetop coffee maker, though:
- The percolator can create up to a whopping 8 cups of coffee at a time- which is great when you are trying to entertain a large group of guests.
- Only using the stovetop, there is no counter space being wasted on a big piece of equipment; ideal for those with small kitchens and apartments.
- The heavy-duty stainless-steel design has a beautifully polished finish that mirrors and allows for utmost durability during the brewing process for several years.
- The glass known is created perfectly clear so you can know the percolating process begins.
- The permanent filter basket means you won’t need to deal with the mess and annoyance of typical paper filters, making this stovetop coffee proper incredibly handy and easy to use.
If you do not want to deal with a typical coffee maker that may be pricey, large, and has too many features than you could ever need, then you might want to consider this stovetop coffee maker. Aside from its convenience in all aspects, it’s also under $20. That’s quite a steal!
Choosing a coffee maker can be a hard task. You want to make sure you’re buying the right product for your specific needs, wants, and space. Thoroughly researching the designs and what they have to offer will help you in your search for the perfect coffee maker. Remember to consider all aspects of the machine, from the size and weight to the features and types of coffees that can be brewed.