These coffee overnight oats are creamy, decadent and with a hint of espresso flavor makes them absolutely delicious.
Overnight oats are one of my favorite ways to prepare breakfast and combined with my favorite drink it creates an awesome breakfast. Mix some ingredients like oats, chia seeds, coffee & plantbased milk then the next day wake up to the perfect filling breakfast.
When you want a change, it’s easy to mix up the flavors! Change the fruit, add a different yoghurt, try a different plantbased milk like almond milk or add some cocoa powder in there for mocha overnight oats! So many possibilities are available.
Disclaimer: Hi! this post may contain affiliate links which will take you to online retailers that sell products and services. If you click on one and buy something, I may earn a commission, see my Affiliate Disclosure for more details.
What You Need For the Recipe
This is the base of the coffee overnight oats recipe but I have also added some substitutions to the ingredients lists. The best thing about overnight oats is the ability to customise them to suit your tastes or dietary requirements.
Rolled Oats – For this recipe I used Scottish Rolled Oat. Rolled oats are the best for making overnight oats but if you have quick oats this is. To make this gluten free just replace it with gluten free oats.
Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds or Hemp Seeds – Either of these seeds are great to add to the oats as they give you extra nutrients but if you don’t have these then you can easily skip.
Maple Syrup – I personally love using maple syrup or date syrup as the sweetener. You can adjust this to whatever sweetener you like.
Vanilla Paste – I always use vanilla paste for anything I make but you can easily swap this for vanilla extra. The paste just brings a nice vanilla flavor.
Doubleshot of Espresso – The coffee flavour is really enhanced with using espresso. You could also replace it with ¼ cup of cold brew coffee. Alternatively, you can replace it with instant coffee. It would be 2 tsp with ¼ of plantbased milk.
Plantbased Milk – Oat milk or coconut milk will provide the best balance for this recipe but you can use any milk that suits you.
Coconut Yoghurt – This adds the creaminess to the recipe, you can replace it with any yoghurt.
Mason Jar – Before I bought my own new set of mason jars I used to reuse food jars or containers I had around the house. Whatever container you have just use that, ideally 12oz (330ml) one and it needs to be sealable.
How to Make Coffee Overnight Oats
Overnight oats with coffee are so simple to prepare! They only require 5 minutes of your time and then it’s waiting a few hours for them to be ready.
Prepare your double shot of espresso for the recipe (freshly brewed coffee is the best). However, if you have some leftover coffee from your morning brew this is a great way to ensure you don’t waste it. Just measure ¼ of a cup.
Measure out all your ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in your bowl or mason jar. Then add the dry ingredients and make sure it’s combined well.
Store in the fridge for a min of 3 hours but ideally overnight.
Serve with your favourite toppings like yoghurt, fruit or granola.
Super simple! Delicious breakfast the next day.
I’ve mentioned a few times they are customizable but these are my favourite coffee variations to try instead.
Cold Brew Coffee Overnight Oats – simply replace the coffee with ¼ cup of cold brew (60ml).
Mocha Overnight Oats – add 1 Tbsp of cocoa with a splash of additional milk to ensure the mixture doesn’t become dry.
Use Leftover Coffee – If you’ve brewed too much coffee in the morning then you can use this instead of an espresso shot. Just need ¼ of cup to replace the 2 shots.
Tips for Making The Best Coffee Overnight Oats
Here are some easy tips you can follow so you have the best overnight oats!
- Using a sealable container to ensure they are fresh and can travel easily.
- I normally triple the recipe so everyone in the house can have a filling, it’s easy to expand for yourself to have all week or prepare for the household.
- Sugar can be adjusted to suit your sweetness level.
- The overnight oats last in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Adjust the thickness of your oats by adding more milk or water when they are ready to eat.
- Add toppings to make them even better! I love to add coconut yogurt and berries which are a perfect food pairing with coffee and oats!
- 1/3 Cup Plain Coconut Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
- 1/3 Cup Unsweetened Plantbased Milk of Choice
- 2 Shot of Espresso or 1/4 Cup of Coffee of your Choice (Cold Brew, Leftover Coffee)
- 1 Tablespoon Flax Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Paste
- 1/2 Cup Fruit
- Additional Yogurt as a Topping
- Prepare 2 shots of espresso.
- Measure out all your ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients in your mason jar.
- Then add the dry ingredients and make sure it’s combined well.
- Store in the fridge for a min of 3 hours but ideally overnight.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like yogurt, fruit, or granola.
- Super simple! Delicious breakfast the next day and enjoy with a cup of freshly brewed coffee.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 484Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 10gSugar: 47gProtein: 14g
I am not a doctor or a dietician. The information I have presented and written within this site is intended for informational purposes only.